Sunday, December 25, 2011

300 south

There is something about a chance to go go home that allows a person to, for a second, forget about all the troubles of the world. For me letting go of things starts on interstate 75 south about 50 miles north of Atlanta. I can't explain why, but for what ever reason, on the drive home the musical lyrics sound a little more refreshing and the feeling in my soul becomes a little more bright.  It is with out fail that by the time I make the right on to the Georgia-Florida Parkway that I have forgotten worldly trouble and my mind is free drift in and out of good days gone by and better days to come. All these good feelings are, I believe, multiplied this trip simply because of the time of the year.

I have to admit that I'm not huge on the whole Christmas vibe, but its a valid reason (pretty well mandatory) for my family to come together and enjoy each other's company. And Yes, some of our traditions facilitate the connection. After all, how can you not enjoy going to church half drunk on Christmas Eve? My people have been doing it as long as I remember. I do find the exchange of gifts a bit cumbersome, but even in that I can see the pride that the the practice of giving can bring. If I had the understanding about what made other folks happy I'm almost certain I would take the same pride in giving as they do, but it seems I'm a little deficient in that department.

Allow me to address the new year.
2011 has been pretty tough for my clan, but it seems that (knock on would) we are on the rebound. Ever one seems and good health and expansion mode is in full effect. It is interesting to watch our little family expand and contract this time of year. Our way seems to add and subtract places at the table every Christmas (and we add with open arms). But for the first time in resent memory every one is truly well liked and welcome back to close 2012.

I hope every one had a Christmas to remember and has a  happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment