Thursday, November 10, 2011

give me the beat

Except for a fine bottle of bourbon there is nothing that will set a mind at ease quicker than a song that has the lyrics, tempo, and beat that speaks to you. It does not matter what mood or frame of mind you find your self in; someone has written a song that can make the moment more enjoyable, bearable, or whatever the situation calls for. Music has the power to cut down the hours in an all night drive, to dissolve the stresses of a hard day, and to provide motivation to exercise harder, quicker, and longer. Science and medicine have even begun to embraced music as therapy for all kind of patience.

I realize that everyone that reads this post will have different taste in music, and will not find my taste to their liking.  I still though, would like to share some of my favorite bands and songs. It should be said, that I have been accused of liking "sleepy songs"  so if your in to upbeat stuff this might be where you want to hop off.

Dave Matthews Band - With out a doubt, my all time favorite their live stuff is awesome

And long those same lines - Wide Spread Panic - has to be one of the best jam bands that ever released live albums from Athens, Huntsville, and Valdosta, which are all solid.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - This guy got his start with the Drive By Truckers and is really a great artist. "Alabama Pines" and "The Last Song That I Will Write" are two of his best works

Old Crow Medicine Show - A dear friend from Raleigh turned me on to these guys a while back, and since then their song "Wagon Wheel" has become a staple of most every guy with a guitar. I have enjoyed their "Tennessee Pusher" album

Son Volt - This is an very good band that apparently didn't make it. I think they started our as Uncle Tupelo and split into Wilco and Son Volt. Check out the "Trace" album, it has some good stuff

Robert Earl Keen - Enough said

Cross Canadian Ragweed - These guys just broke up, but Cody Canada is still making some good music. If you don't know these guys I would recommend starting with one of their live cuts

These are just a few. If this post is well received by you guys I will get into music a little deeper sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment